English guitar (‘guittar’ or ‘cetra’) dated 1767, with original watch-key tuners. Six courses, the lowest two single, the upper four double. Front two-piece, edged with chequered wood banding and painted purfling. Soundhole with an elaborate composite and domed wooden rose partially cut from the wood of the front; a pierced ring of mother-of-pearl diamond shapes contains a twelve-pointed star, the rays formed from alternating strips of ivory and ?ivory stained green; flame shapes between the rays; collar of two painted lines. Arched bridge of ebony pierced and undercut with ivory insert. Back and ribs of burr maple, edged with chequered wood banding; also in rib joints at tail and at neck joint. Ivory hitchpins at tail. Flamed maple neck; holes for capo tasto behind the first four frets. Hook-shaped finial, in one piece with original tuninghead and neck, with eight-pointed star inlaid in flat front face.
Length: 704mm. Width: 302mm.