Search

Cabinet organ, ?South German, 17th and 18th c. parts, rebuilt 19th c.

DETAILS

Object name
Maker
Date
17–19th century
Place
Object number
RCM0115
Acquisition
Gift from Donaldson, George — 1894

Description

An anonymous positive organ, probably South German, built in, or adapted to, an ebonised cabinet. Compass: g, d1, e1, f♯1 g1, a1, b1, c2 c♯2 d2, e2, f♯2 g2, a2, b2. 15 composite steel and mahogany ‘keys’, in a mahogany frame, are guided by two slotted brass registers and operate tapered stickers hinged with leather; the lower ends of the stickers operate the pallets via brass pins. The draw stops operate the sliders via mahogany rods and brass squares. The turning handle drives a brass worm shaft with twin cranks and mahogany trace rods operating the feeders. The worm drive engages with the cogwheel of the barrel. There is a small wooden pawl to prevent anti-clockwise turning of the handle. A sliding bolt raises and lowers the keys when tunes are being selected.

Share