The late Queen Mother’s long association with the RCM began in 1938 when she became Patron, and continued after. She regularly visited the College, and opened the new Concert Hall Organ (1958), the New Building (1965) and the Museum of Instruments (1970). In 1973 she was presented with the degree of Doctor of Music Honoris Causa. This portrait was commissioned for the RCM by Mr Peter Morrison who had been awarded a Scholarship to the RCM in 1912 and graduated as a pianist before joining the family firm; it later years he became a generous member of the RCM Council and Fellow of the College.
Leonard Boden was trained at the Glasgow School of Art and Heatherley’s School of Fine Art. After the Second World War he specialised in portraiture, including a notable series of Royal portraits, and several of performers – his portrait of Tito Gobbi as Scarpia is on display in the Britten Theatre. His daughter, Daphne, became a distinguished harpist, and a professor at the RCM.
commissioned by Morrison, Peter