Prince Edward (1841–1910) was the eldest son of Queen Victoria. He played an active role in the negotiations and planning that surrounded the demise of the National Training School of Music (1876-82) and the creation of the Royal College of Music in its place. On 7 May 1883 he led the party of guests that attended the opening of the new institution, and was the College’s first President (1882–1901) and on his accession became Patron (1901–10). The mother of Prince Victor, Graf von Gleichen, was Princess Feodore, a half-sister of Queen Victoria. After running away from school in Dresden (and stripped of his German titles and succession rights because of a morganatic marriage) he served with distinction in the British Navy; on retiring in 1866 he was appointed Governor and Constable of Windsor Castle. This allowed him time to study sculpture under William Theed (1804–91), and he created a studio in his apartments at St James’s Palace. His most famous work is a monumental sculpture of Alfred the Great in Wantage.